PENGUIN

anchor icon

PENGUIN

Years Active: 1773-1774
Vessel Type: Shallop
UNSPECIFIED (Will display fallback anchor icon)
Nationality: British
A ‘kit ship’ which was dismantled by the crew of HMS HOUND in the Falklands in May 1774 and shipped back to Britain.

Main Use:

Coastal Surveying

Years Active:

1773-1774

Power:

Sail

Built:

1773

Size:

30 tons

(length, breadth, depth) metres

Design/Build:

Admiralty designed, built at Woolwich, Kent, England.
Main Use: Coastal Surveying
Built: 1773
Power: Sail
Design/Build: Admiralty designed, built at Woolwich, Kent, England.
Size: 30 tons
Shipped, in kit-form, carpenters from HMS HOUND re-built the PENGUIN finishing 9th April 1773. — HMS PENGUIN, Master Samuel Wittewronge Clayton R.N. surveyed in and around Port Egmont and the West Falklands. — The PENGUIN was broken up ready for the departure of the HOUND and ENDEAVOUR. — Written at the time: “20th May 1774, ready to leave, this inscription, engraved on a piece of lead, was fixed to the door of the blockhouse: ‘Be it known to all nations, that Falkland’s Island, with this fort, the storehouses, wharfs, harbours, bays, and creeks there unto belonging, are the sole right and property of His most Sacred Majesty George the Third, King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c. In witness whereof this plate is set up, and his Britannic Majesty’s colours left flying as a mark of possession by S. W. Clayton, commanding officer Falkland’s Island, A.D. 1774.’” – Our flag being hoisted, we boarded, waiting for a fair wind to proceed on our voyage.”
Shipped, in kit-form, carpenters from HMS HOUND re-built the PENGUIN finishing 9th April 1773. — HMS PENGUIN, Master Samuel Wittewronge Clayton R.N. surveyed in and around Port Egmont and the West Falklands. — The PENGUIN was broken up ready for the departure of the HOUND and ENDEAVOUR. — Written at the time: “20th May 1774, ready to leave, this inscription, engraved on a piece of lead, was fixed to the door of the blockhouse: ‘Be it known to all nations, that Falkland’s Island, with this fort, the storehouses, wharfs, harbours, bays, and creeks there unto belonging, are the sole right and property of His most Sacred Majesty George the Third, King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c. In witness whereof this plate is set up, and his Britannic Majesty’s colours left flying as a mark of possession by S. W. Clayton, commanding officer Falkland’s Island, A.D. 1774.’” – Our flag being hoisted, we boarded, waiting for a fair wind to proceed on our voyage.”

Explore more wrecks and vessels through time

Vessel thumbnail
2 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
2 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
2 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
17 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
27 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
11 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
10 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
3 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
2 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
3 vessels

Find vessels on our Wreckmap