ALERT

motor-launch icon

ALERT

Years Active: 1928-1988
Vessel Type: Motor Launch
Motor Launch
Nationality: Falkland Islands
After 60 years working in South Georgia and the Falklands in a variety of roles she was badly damaged by fire and towed to a creek in Port Stephens.

Main Use:

Farm Settlement Support

Years Active:

1928-1988

Power:

Motor

Built:

1928

Size:

3 Gross tons

(length, breadth, depth) metres

Design/Build:

Main Use: Farm Settlement Support
Built: 1928
Power: Motor
Size: 3 Gross tons
Built in 1928 on the Isle of Wight in England. Between 1928 and 1936 ALERT spent six months surveying in and around South Georgia, after which she was stored on a slipway. Between 1936and 1972 she became the Harbourmaster’s launch, working in and around Stanley Harbour with regular trips to all-ports in Berkeley Sound. Her permanent mooring during this time was on the South-East side of the Government Jetty. During the second world war, ALERT ran nightly patrols, looking for enemy submarines. Between 1972 and 1988 ALERT was employed in farm settlement support at: Roy Cove, Keppel Island, Murrell Farm, Great Island group and, finally, Port Stephens. In 1988, after damage by fire, she was towed to a Creek at the head of Port Stephens Harbour, by Mike McRae and Leon Berntsen, where some of her remains may be seen today. The bow section of the ALERT was removed and sent to the South Georgia Whaling Museum in Grytviken on board the R.R.S. BRANSFIELD, where it remains.
Built in 1928 on the Isle of Wight in England. Between 1928 and 1936 ALERT spent six months surveying in and around South Georgia, after which she was stored on a slipway. Between 1936and 1972 she became the Harbourmaster’s launch, working in and around Stanley Harbour with regular trips to all-ports in Berkeley Sound. Her permanent mooring during this time was on the South-East side of the Government Jetty. During the second world war, ALERT ran nightly patrols, looking for enemy submarines. Between 1972 and 1988 ALERT was employed in farm settlement support at: Roy Cove, Keppel Island, Murrell Farm, Great Island group and, finally, Port Stephens. In 1988, after damage by fire, she was towed to a Creek at the head of Port Stephens Harbour, by Mike McRae and Leon Berntsen, where some of her remains may be seen today. The bow section of the ALERT was removed and sent to the South Georgia Whaling Museum in Grytviken on board the R.R.S. BRANSFIELD, where it remains.

Explore more wrecks and vessels through time

Vessel thumbnail
1 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
4 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
22 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
7 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
4 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
3 vessels
Vessel thumbnail
1 vessels

Find vessels on our Wreckmap